Friday, July 8, 2011

Little Shop

This is my backyard:


Notice it is about the size of a postage stamp.  It is just enough for Bailey to watch the birds and Phoebe to play jungle kitty in the hydrangeas.  I try to plant things that will add color but not necessarily take up the entire yard.



When I bought my house two years ago, I wanted a butterfly bush more than anything.  Mom had one in her yard and I thought its size would be perfect (I didn't realize mom's was also relatively new or that they came in other varieties).  What started out as a small butterfly bush has expanded into the Little Shop of Horrors in my backyard.



It towers over my 6 foot fence, stretching its purple tentacles into my parking area.  It has taken over close to half of my backyard, and considering the size of my backyard, that doesn't leave me with much.  I found Phoebe under it one day and went into a panic, thinking that Audrey II had swallowed her up. 


I should get rid of it, but I enjoy the butterflies too much.  I'll chop it back further next year (while it is still in its winter hibernation), and hopefully my little bit of green space will not become a tiny yard of horrors.  Maybe next time I will remember that plants typically grow....

No comments:

Post a Comment