Thursday, January 5, 2012

My New Year’s Give-Ups (January's Bella article)

This is similar to previous blog posts...you can always tell when I am low on material!

Ahhh, January.  The beginning of a new year.   And what also comes with the beginning of a new year?  Resolutions!  I guess I need to steer clear of the gym until about mid-February…
How many of us make resolutions?  Most of us, I’m sure.  But how many of us actually keep those resolutions?  I’m guessing a much smaller percentage.  I for one just gave up on resolutions.  I never kept them.  In fact, my resolutions barely made it past January.  So now I make my New Year’s “Give-Ups”.  These are the things that I know I can’t master so I am simply giving up on them. 
The first “give-up” is losing weight.  It’s not gonna happen.  I go to the gym so that I can continue to eat what I want without gaining weight.  This summer my doctor listened to everything that I ate, how much time I spent at the gym, and he did some tests.  His diagnosis?  I am a healthy fat.  In other words, although I am overweight, I am perfectly healthy.  He went on to tell me that I would survive well in a famine-stricken country.  Thanks doc!  Therefore, since my doctor has told me that there is nothing wrong with me, I have stopped worrying about losing weight.  I used to think that losing weight would make me healthier….not so…I’m already there!  As a result I am telling the scale to stuff it.  As long as the numbers don’t rise, I’m a happy camper.
My second “give-up” is my house.  With teaching, tutoring after school, and working out in order to keep this rotund shape, I barely have time to feed myself, much less clean.  Instead of stressing about the rodent sized fur balls on the floor, I need to let it go.  It’ll get clean at some point.  The world will not stop spinning if I leave some dishes in the sink overnight.  Dexter covers his ‘work space’ in plastic wrap before slicing and dicing.  I just need to Dexter-ize my house.  That way I can cover the entire house in plastic covers and tear them off when the dirt reaches condemned house levels.  But until I find clear wall, furniture, and floor slipcovers, I’ll try to relax about the stuffed toy that the dog tore the innards out of (and that the cat spread all over the house). 
So what are you giving up for the new year?  We try our hardest to be everything to everyone; at some point you have to decide to let some things go.  And once you do, you might find some time to relax or do something enjoyable.  I know I will be sleeping in a few extra minutes and not making my bed the next day….it will still be there when I get home.    

No comments:

Post a Comment