Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why I am going you know where in a handbasket

I work in a middle school...germs and viruses make many, many visits to our lovely building.  Right now, the illness du jour is pink eye.

"My little girl is at home with pink eye today."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Yes, please pray for her."

"Ok.  Wait?  What?  Is her life in danger from the pink eye?"

"Well, no."

"Is there a chance of her going blind?  Being disfigured for life?"

"Of course not."

"Yeah, that's what I thought.  We'll see her tomorrow..."

Now, don't get me wrong.  I believe in the power of prayer.  But is there such a thing as frivolous or trivial prayer?  I'm sorry, but I think God has bigger things on His plate than your daughter's pink eye.  When we were in school, pink eye was the illness you wanted.  You got a day off due to the fact that it was more contagious than cooties but you really didn't feel that bad.  Sure, your eye was itchy and goopey, but it didn't force you to stay in bed all day.  I'll admit that I had some treacherous cases of pink eye, the kind where your eye hurts and is swollen and you wake up in the morning unable to open it from the yellow eye goo.  It wasn't a walk in the park, but I also never thought that I needed to be added to the prayer list at church.  We have never held a moment of silence at the beginning of the day for pink eye.  Not exactly a life altering tragedy.

What's next?  A pink eye 5K?  A pink eye telethon?  A pink eye bake sale? 

I had a minor case of pink eye this past fall.  I went to the school nurse and she just waved me off and said that doctors didn't care about pink eye anymore because most cases were viral.  "It'll clear up on its own - wash your hands a lot and don't go around purposefully touching kids just to get them to stay home tomorrow...."

Hmmm, maybe this is why I feel like I need to fix my karma.  Please pray for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment