Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Welcome to the Zoo

I had all of these blogs written about my break up and after writing them and sitting on them for a few days, I realized that he just wasn’t worth the effort.  I’m not over the break up, but I am over whining about it. 
But, while I was wallowing in self pity last week, by loving animals evidently wanted to remind me that they were here.  I was at class and my dog (Bailey) and my cat (Phoebe) decided to throw a party in anticipation of my imminent return.  At least they didn’t think I left them for dead which I believe is what typically goes through their head every time I leave the house.  Usually whenever I go anywhere Bailey climbs up on the couch with a sigh and hangs her head in utter despair.  Phoebe immediately runs upstairs to eat all of her food in case it goes bad in the few hours that I am gone.  It’s like she is a chipmunk trying to store it all for winter.  Only in her case, all it does is make her fat.  She hasn’t quite grasped that there will be more food tomorrow.  And the next day.  And so on.
Upon walking into the house, Bailey is wagging from head to tail in the remains of a dead toy.  I assume she thought that since I don’t let her hunt for real animals outside, she figured she would hunt toys inside.  As I walked over the mounds of stuffing into the living room, I found that Phoebe had redecorated the Christmas tree.  By redecorated I mean that she had flung the bottom ornaments all around the room.  Branches were bent down, and there were white tree remains on the floor (yes, I have a white tree.  If it’s going to be fake, at least make it all the way fake!). 
I sighed heavily and shook my head in resignation.  I just couldn’t muster the energy to clean it up so I just turned off the lights and headed upstairs.  Yes, I strongly believe that if you can’t see it, it’s not there.  Only upon reaching the top of the stairs I notice all of these white plastic stringy things all over the floor.  I get down on my hands and knees in order to study this curiosity.  White out tape.  At some point in the evening Bailey had demolished a full white out dispenser.  There were feet and feet of white out tape strung all over the bedroom.  It looked like an explosion of silly string.  I clean it up and drag myself into the bathroom to throw it away muttering something about the SPCA and how happy they would be to receive such well behaved animals.  I flick on the light and immediately turn it off (remember, if you can’t see it; it is not there).  When I am done whimpering, I turn the light back on and survey the new bathroom remodel.  Phoebe thought that everything on the counter looked much better in the floor. 
I turned around to see Phoebe sitting there with her head cocked thinking “What’s your problem?”  Bailey was so ecstatic for me to find all of her handy-work that she was trembling with excitement.  She couldn’t sit still and was grinning from ear to ear. 
Oh well, it is good to know they care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment